Today I had to cook for Aunty Mary who is becoming increasingly fussy in her old age. So I got some minced beef, and I thought I would do something Eurasian with the potatoes, onions and perhaps some green peas, but alas, as I started, I started adding more and more stuff and suddenly I sent Yus to the market to get Petai, which she willingly did because she too likes it. I even added some Chinese Mushrooms, which I had in a soup I slow cooked last week, so I threw in the soup and diced the mushrooms. So here is my simple recipe, as it took me all of 20 minutes to prepare and cook. You might add some cubed carrots if you like. For non beef eaters, I think Minced Mutton would do well actually.
AND I DID EVERYTHING, not Yus.
Minced Beef 500 gm
Onions 1 Large – sliced thinly
Garlic 5 or 6 pips – minced
Chinese Black Mushrooms 5 or 6 – soaked, boiled and cut into cubes
Stock 2 or 3 cups – I had some soup in the fridge
Potatoes 4 – sliced – sounds a lot I know, but I like potatoes
PETAI 200 gm
Chilly Flakes 1 tbsp
Belacan Powder 2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp or a little more
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat oil and add in onions and garlic.
2. Saute till onions are limp, then add in minced beef and fry it with the onion garlic till it cooked.
3. Add in stock and leave to boil.
4. Add in potatoes and mushrooms.
5. Leave to simmer but don’t forget to add in Belacan Powder as well.
6. Cook till potatoes are done. Toss in the chilly flakes.
7. Season to taste.
8. I think tonight I will be eating RICE! 😦